Saturday 19 January 2013

Tarantino: A Pulp Fiction love affair


With the recent release of Django Unchained (the ‘d’ is silent), I thought I’d honour director Quentin Tarantino with nail art. 

Pulp Fiction is one of my favourite films EVER, so my left hand is all Pulp related. My right hand is a mixture of Tarantino films. I’ll explain what they all are, but I’ll give you the picture first to see if you can guess:


Left hand: 

Little: Chanel no.18 ‘Rouge Noir’. This is supposedly the colour Uma Thurman wore in the film to play Mia Wallace and is the first Chanel nail polish I owned. ‘Vamp’ was given the same number, but there are differences in the colour.

Ring and thumb: A $5 milkshake. One of my favourite scenes of the film is in Jack Rabbit Slims. From the Twist Contest to waitresses dressed as Hollywood icons, it’s brilliant. If you haven’t seen the film, Vince Vega (John Travolta) makes a huge fuss over Mia ordering a $5 milkshake. But, once he tastes the shake, declares it ‘a pretty f*ckin’ good milkshake’. 

Middle: ‘Pulp’ in the colours of all the film advertising.

Index: Tomatoes. Mia Wallace’s joke in the film: ‘Three tomatoes are walking down the street – papa tomato, mama tomato, and baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind and papa tomato gets really angry, goes back and squishes him, and says, "catch up"... ketchup.'

Right hand:

Little: Django Unchained logo.

Ring: Blood splatter. Could be from any Tarantino film, but I was aiming for Reservoir Dogs. 

Middle: The emblem on the car in Death Proof – my skulls need a lot of work.

Index: Kill Bill.

Thumb: Jackie Brown – her flight attendant uniform.

Inglorious Basterds is another Tarantino film I love, but with the only prominent theme of the film being Nazis, I didn’t want a swastika on my hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment